Job Opportunities At The Sycamore Public Library
It is the policy of the Sycamore Public Library to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, citizenship, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, age, unfavorable military discharge (for non-fiduciary positions), genetic information, or any other protected status based on local, state, or federal law. We will provide reasonable accommodations to allow you to participate in the application process (i.e., accommodations for a test or job interview) if you indicate such a need.
The Sycamore Public Library employs 27 staff members and has an operating budget of just under $1.3 million. Sycamore Public Library is a municipal library governed by a nine-member Board of Trustees appointed by the Mayor and City Council for three-year terms.
We are always looking for talented and engaged people to join our staff. View our current job openings below and see if any opportunities match your skills and interests.
YOUTH & TEEN SERVICES LIBRARY ASSISTANT
Overview: Maintains displays, collections, and spaces; delivers programs and services within the Youth & Teen Services Department.
Job Level: 3
Status: Part-Time (15-18 hours per week)
Reports to: Youth & Teen Services Department Manager
Schedule: Varies; flexible based on business needs, outreach activities, and desk schedule
Pay Range: $14.34 – $15.75 per hour
• Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons
• Records statistics for customer service interactions and programs
• Assists Manager and Team Lead with training of departmental staff
• Creates displays and materials to promote library collections
• Assists in the planning and delivery of programs and outreach activities
• Reads professional reviews of Youth & Teen literature and makes recommendations for
materials based on patron feedback and industry print/electronic resources
• Provides 1:1 and group assistance with technology, software applications, and devices
• Handles interlibrary loan (ILL) for materials not owned by the library
• Maintains order and cleanliness of department and patron areas
• Assists with opening and closing procedures and compiling statistical reports
• Engages in professional development opportunities related to job duties and expectations
• Works toward supporting the Library’s Strategic Plan and the IMLS 21st Century Skills
• Other duties, as assigned
• High school diploma or GED required; Associate’s degree desired
• Minimum of one year experience with children and parents
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, bilingual skills a plus
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Able to think creatively and communicate effectively with others
• Able to multi-task and adjust work priorities, as needed
• Able to adapt to change and work well as part of a team
• Able to solve problems and handle escalated situations in a calm, capable manner
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products, basic email applications, and Internet browsers
• Proficient with the operation and basic troubleshooting of desktop computers, laptops,
portable projection equipment, and a variety of smartphones and tablets
• Able to hear, comprehend, and respond to others verbally and in writing
• Able to lift up to 30 lbs. and push carts carrying up to 100 lbs.
WHO WE ARE
Not looking for a job? Maybe you want to volunteer at the library. We have various opportunities depending on your needs and interests. Learn more about how to get involved.