Job Opportunities At The Sycamore Public Library
It is the policy of the Sycamore Public Library to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, citizenship, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, age, unfavorable military discharge (for non-fiduciary positions), genetic information or any other protected status based on local, state or federal law. We will provide reasonable accommodations to allow you to participate in the application process (i.e., accommodations for a test or job interview) if you indicate such a need.
The Sycamore Public Library employs 24 staff members and has an operating budget that exceeds $1.2 million. Sycamore Public Library is governed by a 9-member board of trustees appointed by the mayor and city council. Sycamore is a growing community with a population of 17,519 people comprised of all ages, races, and religions.
Part-Time Library Assistant: Adult Services
Do you like helping people find answers to their questions? Do you enjoy suggesting books for other people to read? Do you like creating catchy displays and planning fun ways to help your family and friends learn new things? If so, consider adding your skills to the dynamic team at Sycamore Public Library!
Under the direction of the Adult Services Manager, the Library Assistant will provide reference and reader’s advisory services; assist with programs and outreach activities; and maintain collections, displays, and spaces within the Adult Services department.
· Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons
· Creates displays that promote the library’s collections
· Assists in the planning and delivery of adult programs and outreach activities
· Makes recommendations for materials based on patron feedback and industry print/electronic resources
· Provides 1:1 and group assistance with technology, software applications, and devices
· Assists with interlibrary loan (ILL) requests
· Maintains order and cleanliness of department and patron areas
· Assists with opening and closing procedures
· High school diploma; college experience/degree a plus
· Minimum one year customer service experience, preferably in a library
· Able to work independently and adjust work priorities, as needed
· Excellent oral and written communication skills; bi-lingual skills a plus
· Able to adapt to change and work well as part of a team
· Able to solve problems and handle escalated situations in a calm, capable manner
· Proficient in Microsoft Office products, basic email applications, and Internet browsers
· Available to work a flexible schedule
Hours: 18 hours per week; schedule varies based on business needs
Pay: $12.83 per hour
To apply: Complete the online application, then attach your cover letter and resume.
Status: Open until filled