Job Opportunities At The Sycamore Public Library
It is the policy of the Sycamore Public Library to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, citizenship, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, age, unfavorable military discharge (for non-fiduciary positions), genetic information or any other protected status based on local, state or federal law. We will provide reasonable accommodations to allow you to participate in the application process (i.e., accommodations for a test or job interview) if you indicate such a need.
The Sycamore Public Library employs 24 staff members and has an operating budget that exceeds $1.2 million. Sycamore Public Library is governed by a 9-member board of trustees appointed by the mayor and city council. Sycamore is a growing community with a population of 17,519 people comprised of all ages, races, and religions.
Part-Time Library Assistant: Youth and Teen Services
Do you have experience working with children and teens and like helping them find answers to their questions? Do you enjoy suggesting books for other people to read? Do you like creating displays and planning fun ways to help others learn something new? If so, consider adding your skills to the dynamic team at Sycamore Public Library!
Under the direction of the Youth and Teen Services Manager, the Library Assistant will provide reference and reader’s advisory services; assist with programs and outreach activities; and maintain collections, displays, and spaces within the Youth and Teen Services department.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons at Youth Services Desk and Teen Services Desk
- Creates displays and materials to promote library collections
- Assists in the planning, promotion, and delivery of youth and teen programs and outreach
- Makes recommendations for materials based on patron feedback and industry
- print/electronic resource trends
- Assists with collection maintenance tasks
- Provides 1:1 and group assistance with technology, software applications, and devices
- Maintains order and cleanliness of department and patron areas
- Assists with opening and closing procedures and compiling statistical reports
- High school diploma; college experience/degree a plus
- Minimum one year customer service experience, preferably in a library
- Minimum one year experience working with children and/or teenagers
- Able to work independently and adjust work priorities, as needed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; bilingual skills a plus
- Able to adapt to change and work well as part of a team
- Able to solve problems and handle escalated situations in a calm, capable manner
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, Office 365, basic email applications, and Internet
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends
- Must have valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. and the agility to bend and reach to shelve materials
Hours: 12 hours per week; schedule may vary based on business needs
Pay: $12.15 – $12.79 per hour depending on experience
To apply: Complete the application below, and attach your cover letter and resume.
Status: Open until filled