Throughout the year readers of all ages are invited to read science fiction books, participate in fun, interactive online programs, and then meet up virtually or live at Northern Illinois University for free discussions and Q&A sessions with experts who explain the science behind the fiction.
While reading each book, participate in virtual chats, find cool science articles and videos, connect with other science fiction fans, and share questions and fan fiction stories with other readers and experts.
All STEM Read programs and events are free and you, your school, or your library group can join to access information and resources on any book at any time.
Book Buzz is a monthly book club for 3rd-6th graders to hear about new books, do a book-themed craft, and talk about what they’ve been reading! Refreshments provided.
Community Book Club Central
Sycamore Library would love to host your book club! We can gather extra copies of your discussion book and provide any assistance or support you need. Please contact us if you would like to reserve a meeting room time, or have extra books on hand. Or just consider having your book list posted so that others in the area can get ideas for their next read.
One Community Read
Every summer, the Sycamore Library is proud to be a part of One Community Reading. Library staff selects one book for the entire Sycamore Community to read, share and discuss! Besides offering copies of the book, the library has book discussions and programming related to the book. In recent years, we have done
- 2002 – Great Plains by Ian Frazier
- 2003 – The Rich Part of Life by Jim Kokoris
- 2004 – The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder
- 2005 – The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- 2006 – The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
- 2007 – Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World’s Worst Dog by John Grogan
- 2008 – The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
- 2009 – A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck
- 2010 – Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde, as well as 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change Your Life by Cami Walker
- 2011 – Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
- 2012 – Ape House by Sara Gruen
- 2013 – Best Seller Summer!
- 2014 – Best Seller Summer 2!